eMail marketing is considered obsolete by some: Old, not real time and not really up-to-date.
Far from it, it is still one of the most effective marketing tools, and should be a part of your digital strategy
e-mail marketing has the best return on ad spend
Despite the naysayers claiming that email is dead, the fact is that recipients are still getting benefits out of the emails they do read, and marketers are still getting returns on their money.
In a recently published research, the DMA has published that Email’s 122 percent return-on-investment (ROI) continues to outperform all other channels, with the next-largest ROI at 28 percent for social media.
Some prefer it via e-mail
According to a study commissioned by MarketingSherpa in early 2015, consumers overwhelmingly prefer (over 70%) to be contacted via email.
This is the case across every demographic, with males 35-44 (perhaps surprisingly) being its biggest fans (87% stated it as their preferred form of marketing communication).
The idea is to send the right message to the right audience at the right time. Once people trust that you are not intruding into their privacy with generic messages, they’ll willingly read your messages and perceive them as a personal one-to-one communication.
Tips and tricks
There are many sophisticated email marketing tools available to marketers nowadays. These allow you to segment your audiences according to different criteria such as behavior, demographics, past interactions with your business, or any other data you have. This way, you can personalize your message down to an individual level while still using automation to ease the process.
Adapt your messaging to mobile devices
People are always on their mobile devices. Almost 34% of Americans check their emails throughout the day and one of the main reasons for that is mobile. Interestingly the biggest group (39%) consist of those who barely check their email, but even that group still accounts for doing so 1 to 3 times per day.
Use advanced features
- Include dynamic content: You can pull content off of the web and place in the email for real-time content (game results, stock quotes etc.)
- Rule-based content: Rule-based sends means that each person gets specific content based on behavior, demographics, etc. so a woman from the US who shops a lot and a man from Germany who has only bought once on your site will get different holiday discount rates, but the same message and in the same email campaign
- A/B testing: You don’t always know which subject line is the best, or which offer will get the highest amount of clicks. Use A/B tests for that, and send the winning format to the bulk of your users. Make sure you don’t overdo it, though!
Great value for money
e-mail marketing campaigns are considered cost effective, here are a few reasons why:
- Costs are marginal: the cost of an email campaign ranges from zero (some ESPs offer free email campaign sends for a certain minimal quota/number of contacts) to about a dollar or two for 1000 emails sent. Compared to the CPM rates you’ll find on the networks, that is a good bargain.
- Response rates are good: The average benchmark for email opens is around 10-15% minimum (if you’re doing worse than that, contact us asap!). The benchmark for clicks (from opens) should be 10%-20% (again, minimum). So overall, you should be getting at least 1% click rate (from sends), and usually 3-4 times that.
- Today’s ESPs (Email service/send providers) have pre-made templates that you can use, so creating an email campaign is fast and easy.
The future of eMail marketing
Summed up in just 3 words, the future of email marketing lies in:
- Data: As in smart usage of. Segment and send using your knowledge on user behavior.
- Content: The right content can make a huge difference.
- Personalization: Different users, different stories. Learn to tell the right story to each user.
In fact, only 9% of all respondents from companies see email marketing as something that’ll become obsolete, and almost ¾ are confident that it will still be one of the channels with the highest return on investment in five years from now.
What you should do
If you want to use email marketing as a key channel in your digital strategy, one that delivers high ROI then Eyal Dror Consulting is your partner of choice. We excel in this area and can help you to design an email marketing strategy that works for your organization. And we’ll be with you every step of the way to ensure that before, during and after the campaign you’re doing the best to maximize your revenues and avoid costly mistakes. So why not get in touch today and see what we can do for you.
contact us to set up a free, no obligation 1 hour consultation.